- About Us
- Student Corner
- Gyandoot Video Links
- Campus Infra
A tiny village named Rajiawas, in the erstwhile state of Bikaner, was picked up by His Highness Sir Ratan Singh to develop into a city after the name of his loving son Sardar Singh in 1890. The area was perhaps ruled by the Mohils of that time. A statue of Indrapal Mohil at the town side is a testimony to the fact .The area in the thick of Thar desert is characterized by huge mounds of sand and blowup of hot and cold winds in summers and winter respectively.
The important milestones in the development of the city:
(a) Facility of Rail service launched in 1916.
(b) Establishment of Ganga Golden Jubilee high school in 1937.
(c) Roadways bus depot in 1974.
(d) Beginning of SBBJ banking activities in 1938.
(e) Postal services in 1928.
(f) Foundation of college (Seth Budhmal Dugar College) in 1959.
(g) Public library in 1909.
(h) Mega highway in 2008.
Since its establishment, the town of Sardarsahar has been steadily developing into a prosperous city, though its progress was disrupted by the disastrous famine of 1899.
Presently it is a Tehsil headquarter and covers 210 villages with a population of more than one lakh people.
The salient features of the city and the area:
It is a fact that the place is beautiful and its people are lively. Truely it is an oasis in the heart of the Thar Desert.
College: Evolution & Development
SARDARSHAHAR Town was founded in this “Thali Region in 1839” and named after Sardar Singh Ji. The son of Maharaja Ratan singh Ji Bika. Imparting of higher education in the town started only in 1951 when the Ganga Golden Jubilee high school was upgraded to an intermediate college.
In the year 1958, Babu Jhhabbarmal Ji Dugar donated a sum of Rs 1.5 lakh to establish a college in memory of his father, late Shri seth Budhmal Ji Dugar. The foundation stone of the college was laid by the then Governor, Sardar Guru Mukh Nihal Singh on January 12, 1959. The building of the college was inaugurated by the then chief minister Shri Mohan Lal Sukharia on Novmber 01, 1960. The College since then is known as S.B.D. Govt. College, Sardarshahar.
Under the Regional Work Project scheme of Govt. of India a gymnasium Hall was constructed in 1965-66.with some assistance from Sh. Sohan Lal Anchaliya in memory of his father late Shri Rugh Lal Anchaliya. He also provided financial help to put two water huts in the college. In the year 1970-71 a separate wing of science block was added to the institution with financial help from Shri Ghanshyam Das Karva in the memory of his wife late Smt. Vimala Devi Karva.On the east and west sides of the science block, chemistry & Zoology departments were established respectively by the State Govt.
In 1983 a building with six rooms for library was constructed with UGC grant. Botany Laboratory and two class-rooms were also constructed from UGC grants in 1991-92. A Geography Laboratory and one class-room were added by the Govt. of Rajasthan. In order to beautify the campus, a grand fountain was constructed by Sh. Ravi Prakash Dugar in the NSS garden to the south of the Science Block.
In front of the entrance of the main building, a marble statue of Swami Vivekanand was installed as a symbol of inspiration to the youth. The entire cost of this was borne by the Gayatri Parivar under Yug Nirman Yojana. The statue was unveiled on 22-9-1995 by the then higher education minister Shri Lalit Kishore Chaturvedi.
In 1998-99, a computer room was constructed with the help given by the then M.P. Dr. Mahesh Sharma under LAD scheme and inaugurated by the then higher education minister shri Lalit Kishore Chaturvedi.
In 1999-2000, a Kargil Shaheed Vatika and Shaheed Smarak were built under the auspices of Gram Sewa Pranyas in the supervision of the then acting principal Dr. K.L.Sinwar.
In 2000-2001, a Meditation hall in Jainology Department was constructed with the assistance given by Smt. BarJi Devi Bachhawat, wife of late Sh. Moolchand Ji Bachhawat.
In 2000-2001, Sh. Hansraj Siddh, President of Student’s Union, got constructed a room for Student Union office in the memory of his grandfather Late Sh. Ganpat Mal Ji Siddh.
In 2001-2002, a Drawing and Painting Laboratory was built with the grant allotted by UGC.
In 2002-2003, Sh. Prakash Chandra Karva, son of Sh. Bhanwar Lal Ji Karva, renovated Smt. Vimla Devi Karva science block.
In 2003-2004, Sh. Pokarmal Buchha got constructed a grand water hut under the auspices of Sugan Dharam charitable trust.
In 2006-2007, an addition was made to Jainology department A hall, a meditation hall and a water tank were built by the sons of Late Smt. Siru Devi Dugar under the auspices of Mali Devi Dugar charitable trust.
In 2007-2008, a tube well was set up in college premise by Sh. Swaroop Soni in memory of his father Late Sh. Kamla Ram Ji Soni.
In 2007-2008, Sh. Shiv Chand Sahu donated a water cooler (with Aqua Guard & 500Ltr plastic water tank) to the college.
In 2007-2008, Sh. Sampat Mal Nahata got installed in the front wall and the main gate the college renovated a grill was the front wall.