The Department of Sanskrit Education was founded in the year 1958. With its Directorate office at Jaipur, the Department has six divisional offices located at Divisional Head quarters of the state.
Sanskrit is the life line of the spiritual consciousness of India. It is not merely a language. It is the life style of India. Enriched with Indian scriptures, Sanskrit gives the divine message of world peace and prosperity of mankind. Rajasthan is the only state in the country which has a separate department of Sanskrit education. Established in the year 1958, the department has been working for the promotion and propagation of Sanskrit language in the state. Successive governments in the state have attached great importance to Sanskrit language. The creation of a separate post of Principal Secretary, Sanskrit Education shows resolve of the state Government for the development of Sanskrit Education. Departmental institutions offer a wide variety of Sanskrit subjects including Nayaya Darshan, Mimansa, Sankhya Yoga, Purohitya, Jain Darshan, Vastu Shastra, Samudrik Shastra, Philosophy of Ramanujan and Nimbark, Vedanta, Astrology etc.which will influence our future research in a big way. The department has been established with the following objectives:
- Work for the expansion of Sanskrit Education in accordance with the policy, programme and guidelines of the state Government. Arrange for Sanskrit teaching, training at college and school levels. Also, arrange for higher education in Shastric subjects.
- Propagate shastric, literary and scientific speciality of Sanskrit Language.
- Promote research in various branches of Sanskrit Literature.
- Establish literary, cultural, moral and sacramental importance of Sanskrit in the present social context and values.
- Consolidate the role of Sanskrit Department and its institutions in the discharge of social and national obligations/duties.
- Honour and award Sanskrit scholars for promoting Sanskrit language.
- Ensure that Sanskrit institutions enjoy status at par with those of General Education institutions.